Korean Style Salsa Roja
- 1/2 pound plum tomatoes
- 1/4 pound tomatillos (husked and washed)
- 1 cup water
- 1 ounce (about 20) dried chilies de arbol, toasted
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon gochugaru (Korean chili powder)
- 2 tablespoons gochujang (Korean chili paste)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted and crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the tomatoes and tomatillos until charred on all sides, about 10-12 minutes.
- Place the tomatoes, tomatillos, water, chiles de arbol and onion into a sauce pan, bring to a boil and simmer until the onions are tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Drain the water reserving it.
- Place everything other that the sesame seeds into a food processor or a blender and puree adding some of the reserved liquid if necessary.
- Strain the bits from the salsa.
- Mix in the toasted and crushed sesame seeds and season with salt and pepper.