What a mixture of thoughts they must've had: awestruck by the peaks, worried about the journey ahead. And just imagine how many sunsets they watched, day after day moving no more than 15 or 20 miles ahead of where they started. What a life that was.
Roasted Corn & Chicken Salad with Avocado
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 pound chicken, diced to bite-sized pieces
- 1 summer squash, diced
- 1/2 of a medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves or garlic, minced
- 3 cobs of corn, with the kernels sliced off and the cobs discarded
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Dash salt & pepper
- Dash cumin
- Dash paprika
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 cups baby arugula (or chopped kale, or both)
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- 1/4 cup queso fresco or feta, crumbled
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat until the oil glistens. Add the chicken, searing on one side. When the chicken pieces are browned on the bottom, flip and cook them on the other side until browned. Use a slotted spoon to move the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add diced summer squash, onion, minced garlic, corn, and red bell pepper to the pan. Sauté until the summer squash is cooked through, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken back to the pan, and stir to combine. Stir in the salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, and cilantro.
- To serve: lay the arugula on a serving dish in an even layer. Top with the chicken corn mixture. Then, arrange diced avocado and sliced jalapeño on top. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.