These apple fritters are super easy to make, you pretty much just need to shred the apples and cheese, squeeze and drain the shredded apple, mix everything up and then fry them in a pan. The apples, bacon and cheddar combo makes for an amazing blend of sweet and savoury in these fritters that are nice and crispy on the outside and soft and warm on the inside! I like to snack on these apple and cheddar fritters just as they are but they are also absolutely divine when topped with caramel sauce.
Apple, Cheddar and Bacon Fritters in Caramel Sauce
Sweet and savoury apple and cheddar fritters that go great topped with caramel sauce and crumbled bacon.
- 1 pound apples, peeled, cored and shredded
- 1 cup aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- 1/4 cup flour (or rice flour)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for shallow frying
- Squeeze as much excess liquid from the shredded apples as you can in a tea towel. (Reserve and enjoy the fresh apple juice!)
- Mix everything except the frying oil.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, add heaping tablespoons of the apple mixture, forming patties and fry until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side, before setting aside on paper towels to drain.