The best basil pesto
- 1 clove of garlic , peeled
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- a large bunch of fresh basil , leaves picked
- 50 g pine nuts
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50 g Parmesan , finely grated
- 1 cooked jersey royal or new potato
- Bash the garlic in a pestle and mortar with a pinch of salt. Add the basil leaves and pine nuts and pound to a coarse paste. Muddle in the extra virgin olive oil and stir in the Parmesan, adding a splash of water if you like it a little runnier, then continue bashing and pounding until smooth.
- Have a taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed. For a lovely creamy finish, try crumbling in and stirring through a cooked Jersey Royal. Serve with grilled meat or fish, or simply stirred through pasta – delicious!